7. Import Orders
In order to import orders to X-Cart you need to click on Export/Import button which starts the Import/Export Wizard. Orders Import/Export Wizard is a lot like Categories Import/Export Wizard.
When importing orders pay attention to each Wizard's page. Import is a rather complicated procedure and it may be destructive if performed incorrectly. Create database backup before importing orders to X-Cart.
- First of all prepare a .csv file for Import. Make sure it contains all necessary required fields and all data you are going to import is listed in the table.
- Select "Import" in the Orders Import/Export Wizard and click "Next >" button to continue
- Select the .csv file you need to import.
- Source file preview shows a part of .csv file selected to import. There are no options to set, but you should pay some attention to this page. What's so important to look for on this page is fields delimiter and quote character, if some is used.
- If you carefully check the very first line of the example, you'll notice that some words enclosed in quotes (") and are separated by coma (,) symbol. You will have to setup these settings on next page. Usually it is enough to see first line, no need to investigate entire file.
- Select fields delimiter and quote character page contains some important settings. If you specify wrong values, X-Cart orders import may not work.
- Next page (see picture below) contains some important settings. If you specify wrong values, import may not work.
- First option is delimiter character. Most popular delimiters are comma (,), semicolon (;) and tab character ( ) however other symbols can be used as well.
- Note: CSV file contains data in row-column format and delimiter character is used to separate one column from another. If you specify incorrect delimiter, file will not be parsed properly and orders will not be imported.
- Quote string values delimiter will be used to separate strings in csv file. This delimiter can be disabled if none are used.
- On previous sample page we have noticed that comma symbol was used as delimiter and values were quoted with " symbol.
- Specify two first settings as shown above.
- Note: CSV file contains data in row - column format and delimiter character is used to separate one column from another. If you specify incorrect delimiter, file will not be parsed properly and orders will not be imported to X-Cart.
- Base Formats and separators. They can be set by default.
- The next page allows you to Link columns from .csv file to appropriate database fields.
- Link columns from .csv file to appropriate database fields. The left pane "Database Fields" shows the list of fields in your database that can receive import data.
- The topmost option on this page is First row in .csv file contains field names but not values. Obviously it should be unchecked if first row of .csv file contains data, otherwise check this option.
- Next option is Identify orders by. Import will search for the order using selected identify method. The order will be modified if found, if not - new order will be added.
- Source .csv file can contain multiple records with identical Name values. All these orders will be considered as one - currently imported orders will overwrite previously imported with the same key field values. Note that sometimes one of key fields may be blank. Obviously blank fields contain the same value for all records. It is required to assign .csv columns to key fields.
- Database Fields contains such columns:
- Name - contains database field name. Some values in this column contain actual field name, whereas other are "translated". Anyway these names are clear enough to figure out how to use them.
- # - the number of the column in .csv file corresponding to this field - the link between database field and .csv column.
- Set Null - indicates that this field should not contain any data but should be set to Null. You can either specify column name or check this option, but not both of them at the same time.
- Set Default - used to set some default value to a field, similar to Set Null, but in this case some value can be assigned to a field.
- Default - enter the value assigned to a field.
- To assign .csv column to database field you should select a field at the left pane and then click a column at the right pane.
- [Auto Fill...] button - try to set correspondence automatically for all fields. Will work only if .csv column name is the same as database field name ("translated").
- [Clear] button - clear all "csv col" values at the left pane
- Click "Next" if you're done.
- Orders were not imported to your X-Cart database yet. On Import Preview page you can see how .csv file was processed using import settings, which you specified at previous steps. Check whether all columns that you want to be imported are filled with data: some of them may be blank. This means that it is empty in source (.csv) file.
- Attention! Import process will start, when you press "Import" Button! If all settings are made correct then continue the procedure, otherwise press "Back" Button and check settings once more!
- In the last window of Import Orders Wizard will be shown if any errors occurred during import process.
- Most frequent import errors are date, time and number conversion issues, caused by improper format settings (specified at previous pages). Date/time conversion errors might be ignored.
Now X-Cart orders import is finished!